Do you want to make a difference in the construction industry by being part of something more than just a job?
Due to our continued growth and workload we have an exciting opportunity to appoint a Quantity Surveyor to support our commercial team.
As a quantity surveyor, you will be involved in a construction project from various stages, working with architects, engineers, design and operations to identify resources and materials needed. You will be responsible for allocating work out to suppliers, partners and contractors, putting you in control of M-ARs expenditure. Finally, you get to see the project through to the end, monitoring the progress of your plans and keeping the client fully updated and reporting on the results
You will be working alongside our Managing Surveyor and Assistant QS with regular liaison between our Accounts department, Supply Chain, Estimating and Design team. A culture of contractual awareness should be encouraged to ensure contracts are fulfilled by maintaining records and controlling changes.
The successful candidate should have 5 + years experience of construction projects, and experience of working on a variety of fast-paced projects. Knowledge of both traditional and modular forms of construction are an advantage. Ideally you will be a CSCS card holder who has attention to detail and is a methodical thinker. An ability to manage competing priorities, while ensuring agreed targets and deadlines are met, as well as excellent communication and teamwork skills.
Other skills and experience
- Experience of working on a variety of fast-paced construction projects
- Knowledge of both traditional and modular forms of construction an advantage
- CSCS card holder
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Office and construction-specific ICT packages e.g. Conquest and BIM viewers / measurement software
- Attention to detail and methodical thinking
- An ability to manage competing priorities, while ensuring agreed targets and deadlines are met
- The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent; RICS membership, or working towards same.
- A creative and innovative approach to problem solving
- Negotiation and excellent teamwork skills
Your responsibilities will include:
- Daily communication with Assistant QS. Supervision and mentoring as appropriate
- Reporting into Managing Surveyor and the wider team
- Maintaining excellent client relationships
- Sound knowledge of standard forms of construction contracts
- Liaison with Estimating Dept at tender settlement stage
- Run cost analyses of the various types of work as a forerunner to tender preparation
- Representing M-AR at client meetings incl pre-commencement meetings and progress meetings
- Preparation of BoQs incl SMM7 & NRM2 as appropriate
- Liaison with Design Dept in preparation & management of procurement programmes
- Engaging with design teams, both in-house and external consultants
- Active involvement in internal design team meetings
- Pro-active management of supply chain, eg:
- Subcontractor appointments, incl negotiating terms
- Consultant appointments, incl drafting formal deeds and negotiating terms
- Regular supply chain reviews including feedback / scoring as appropriate
- Providing regular workstreams for key supply chain members where appropriate
- Regular progress meetings to nurture mutual trust and partnership
- Encourage and develop a culture of contractual awareness and ensure that contracts are fulfilled by rigidly maintaining records, contractual notifications, change control, etc.
- Inspection, measurement, and valuation of works at factory and on site
- Pricing & tracking client variations
- Preparation of interim applications for payment
- Assessment of subcontractor interim applications
- Payment of subcontractors and consultants within agreed terms
- Regular liaison with Accounts Dept, incl client invoicing and wider financial reporting
- Preparation and management of cost-value reconciliations
- Preparation and management of cashflow forecasts
- Preparation and management of risk & opportunity registers
- Monitor and control costs throughout the project
- Prepare summary commercial reports for the client and other relevant stakeholders
- Aftercare incl liaison between client and supply chain
- Liaise between site managers, project managers, site engineers and the client
- Support with other departments on an ad hoc basis; Pre-con, Estimating and Buying depts in particular
- Responsibility for commercial performance across a number of concurrently running construction projects
- Willingness to travel nationwide to construction sites on occasion
- Factor in the implications of health and safety regulations
- Monitor & advise on any residual commercial risks
Full-Time, based at our Office and Factory in Hull, however some UK travel may be required to visit clients or sites. M-AR is an equal opportunities employer.
If you want to make a difference apply online, we have a new form which we would love you to try out. You can upload your CV and be sure our team has your application for the role.